Tuesday, April 25, 2006

He's not a little boy anymore

As I sit here, trying to put together my thoughts, I'm resisting tearing up - but I'm smiling. There is just so much to say that it is difficult to put it into words.

Rece is 11 now. He's a great kid, with a caring personality. He's smart and very funny. He likes what every other kid his age likes: video games, pizza, movies, riding his bike, playing with toys, etc.

Yesterday we went for a bike ride after I got off work, and we went to find a geocache. It used to be that Rece would putter out on a hill, or whine that his legs hurt - this time proved different. He kept up (and a few times led) along the ride. He did slow down quite a bit going up one hill, giving me a good enough lead ahead to stop and wait for him at the top. What caught me off-guard was when he got to the top, he waved me on and kept going - not wanting to stop and rest as he used to do. He did comment that is legs were burning a little, but not as a whine or complaint; more as just an observation. If I don't watch out, I suspect that I'm going to be the one lagging behind pretty soon!

The other day I was watching an excellent show called Coupling (the BBC version) on DVD. The subject matter is definitely mature with very quick and witty (and often complex) humor. I thought Rece was in his room playing, but as it turned out he was watching behind me. At one hilarious point, both of us burst into laughter... to which I realized that he was watching. I asked him to sit down and watch it with me. To my surprise and delight, he was able to follow the story and gags at every point, barring the strictly sexual content which he hasn't any context to associate with yet.

The fact that Rece is able to enjoy a show like that with me is both appealing and depressing, in a way. It has become apparent that his brain is no longer just occupied by toys and games and distractions as I've grown accustomed to. He has now begun to navigate the path toward becoming a man.

As a father, I'm so proud of my son - even though it means having to watch the little boy I've known for so long slowly disappear.

This entry looks back upon fond memories of Legos & Hot Wheels.

1 comment:

Quinn said...

I know what you mean man except for me it's my daughters.
They grow up so fast!