Monday, July 25, 2005

What about a catapult?

With Rece being out of school and this being the first summer of having to deal with keeping him occupied during the day while I'm at work, I decided that he should go to the local Boys & Girls Club. It's a cool place where kids can go and hang out, play games, do various activities and even go on fun outtings - and most of all, do it safely. The one he goes to is not far from home, so he can ride his bike there - in fact, it's on the other side of the fence from his school. Now that he's singed up as a member, he'll be able to go there after school and hang out until his mom or I get home. So this will work out rather well in the long run.

Next month Rece will be going to a 4-H Club summer camp up in the mountains for 5 days. At $190 including meals and lodging and activities, it's a steal, though I got it for $140 (I managed to get $50 off from a friend that works there). I think that he's going to have a lot of fun up there. It'll be his first summer camp and I hope that it won't be the last. When I was his age, my folks couldn't afford to send me to camp, so it's nice to be able to provide Rece with some of the things that I couldn't have when I was a kid.

Working at Orange County United Way has opened my eyes to the many organizations out there available for people to use. From food banks and homeless shelters to kids organizations that help kids stay off the streets and out of trouble. If you haven't checked any of these out for your own kids, you might consider doing so. You might also consider donating time and/or money to an organization that appeals to you. It's good for the soul.

This entry brought to you by flocks of a thousand flying monkeys throwing poo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, I'd go to camp with him just to see a thousand flying monkeys throwing poo!