Friday, July 29, 2005

An I Like Pie! Production

Last night I danced. Well, I don't know if you could consider it dancing, but I sure as hell did flail around my arms and stomped ferociously about! I was hanging out at work afterhours so I could install an upgrade to the backup software on a server at work (you remember I'm a computer guy, right?). I was also supposed to replace a bad hard drive and create a mirrored set for redundancy, in case one of the drives dies on us.

The backup software upgrade went without a hitch and I was able to get the nightly backup job running again only 2.5 hours later than it would have ordinarily run. The hard drive mirror business didn't go quite as planned, but it wasn't that big of a deal - I'll just do it another night next week.

Additionally, I had to upgrade the anti-virus software on the database (MS SQL 2000) server and the email (MS Exchange 2003) server. I also needed to visually verify the amount of physical RAM installed on our newest server, since it was only reporting that 3 GB of it was installed when we had ordered 4 GB (which it did have, so now I need to figure out why it's not all showing up in Windows). To make a long story short; much of my night was spent rebooting servers.

Servers aren't like your standard home or work computers - these things can take between 5 and 15 minutes to restart. This became rather boring after awhile so I decided to have fun with my boss. I ended up performing an impromptu interpretive dance, in perfect view of the video camera we have set up in the server room at the office. What it turned into was something more than I had originally anticipated.

My boss has access to all the security cameras on our network. The security setup is all digital and connects into our office network. I don't know how long it stores data, but I know that it can go back at least 2-3 days. He can also save any portion of the video as an AVI video file on his computer, which means that it can be edited in any number of ways.

This morning I came in late, due to me sleeping in after staying at the office until 11:30 pm. When I got there, I was anxious to show him my little skit. It took a few minutes for him to find it, but when he did, he nearly choked to death from laughter. After we showed the raw footage to a few other people and seeing their reactions to it, I insisted that my boss save the video so I could polish it up a bit.

It took me some time to find the right music, but I think the video came out rather well. If you'd like to check it out, you can find it on my web site in the "Oddities" section, under the title "Bored at Work" or you can simply click here to view it. Enjoy!

This entry brought to you by all the insanity within.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!!! DUDE, Classic!!! V and I can't stop laughing at you. Don't be surprised the next we see you when we just start bursting with tears of laughter at the very site of you.....