Tuesday, March 14, 2006

OMG, Firefly!

Last week I ordered Firefly: the Complete Series DVD set and Serenity DVD as a package deal on Amazon for just under $38. Sweet deal. Well this sweet deal turned out to be even better for me, since I'm apparently a late-comer to the entire Firefly/Serenity scene.

Back when Firefly first aired on TV, I remember catching most of one episode (I think it was the pilot) and liking it. For whatever reason I never managed to catch it again and as it turns out the series ended up getting cancelled. So last year I see these previews for this movie named Serenity and it looks pretty good. My son and I never got around to seeing it in the theaters, but we vowed to catch it when it came out on DVD.

Back in December Rece and I went to the video store and discovered that it had been released on video, so we rented it. HOLY COW! This movie turned out to be one of the best sci-fi flicks I've seen. I mean, it ranked right up there with Star Trek: The Next Generation, in my opinion. We loved it so much that we watched all the extras (except for the commentary) and I learned about the Firefly history of the show. NO WAY! It was at this point that I realized that I must buy not only the movie, Serenity, but the entire Firefly series on DVD. Money around the time was tight because of Christmas, and then Rece's science camp tuition, etc, so buying them was out of the question. This month my expendable income was back to usual, so I ordered the set after following a digg link to the deal on Amazon.

So far I've only had time to watch the first 2 DVDs of the series and I am thoroughly impressed! How this show ended up getting cancelled, I'll never know. I've seen som pretty crappy sci-fi shows go far longer than they should have, but this great show got canned. Go figure.

Anyhow, I'm about ready to go watch some more Firefly now. I just couldn't contain my excitement about the whole thing. If you're a sci-fi fan, then do yourself a favor and check it out for yourself!

This entry was boarded by reavers and never heard from again.

1 comment:

Quinn said...

Shiny! I told you man, it's a great series...I love Firefly! It only gets better after the pilot episode. That was a sweet deal for $38 I'm totally jealous now :) but I've seen the whole series a few times already on Sci-Fi channel but it never gets old and I watch it whenever they have a all day marathon...hehe.