Sunday, September 10, 2006

Mattress drive

On Saturday (yesterday) I drove 4 hours to pick up some things from my dad's place, one of the items being a 2-3 year old mattress. Christine was nice enough to volunteer to ride shotgun and help keep me entertained along the 4-hour (each way) journey. It was a nice day trip, really.

We stopped by Pea Soup Anderson's as we passed through Buelton on highway 101. Christine hadn't been this way before so I decided to also give her a motor tour of Solvang (AKA "Soul Fang"), which she seemed to find very cute.

We arrived at my dad's place around 1:00 pm and hung out awhile resting from the drive and talking. Then we loaded up the car and took off. One of the things I can't seem to get comfortable about is when I have things strapped down to the roof of a car I'm driving. So for quite some time I was rather nervous that our job securing the mattress wasn't enough. This resulting in 2-3 stops in the first 1.5 hours of the trip back... not to mention my driving like an old man. Once we reached Santa Barabara, I had had enough and decided to find a Target or some other place where I could purchase more sturdy rope. I ended up purchasing 50 feet of 1/2 braided nylon rope - the kind folks use to climb up mountains - and lashing the mattress down to the roof rack in a very secure manner. It was just enough to relieve my apprehension and no longer worry.

Yep, another post that isn't all too interesting. Where did my funny go? Hmm? I think my brain is still waiting for me to pick it up at Pea Soup Andersons...

This entry loves to slurp pea soup!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funnier when you mention how much anxiety it caused you not to use all the bungee cords you have in your possession. :-)

BuzzKill said...

Yeah, yeah... I can sometimes realize when using all my bungee cords will make no difference. Now, some heavy duty rope... that's some serious tie-down!