Thursday, May 04, 2006

Operation Photo Rescue

I happened upon this website and immediately sent them an email telling them that I wanted to volunteer to help them in their efforts. I also included a sample image of what I can do (see below).

Restoring digital photos is something I seem to have a knack for and I've done it for a few friends and family members over the years. The most difficult one I was asked to restore was from one of my co-workers. His dad had passed away not too long before and he had discovered an old picture that his mother had been carrying around in her purse or wallet for years. Time and abuse had taken their toll on the picture and he asked me if I might be able to help. After a few days (during lunches at work) I was able to bring the picture back to a much better state.

Here's that picture...

(click for a larger view)

This brings back memories of some work my mom did when I was a kid. She would take real photographs and either restore them or colorize them (this was way back before personal computers). It was a way for her to use her artistic talents to restore and/or enhance photographs. Now, in the digital age, I have a chance to do the same.

Anyhow, hopefully they get back to me and find my skills useful enough to start putting me to work!

This entry was color-corrected, sharpened, blended, and rasterized.

No comments: