Sunday, July 23, 2006

Under the incadescent lamp

This weekend proved to be a very full one. Fairly early Saturday morning I hit the road, bound for Santa Maria to pick up Rece at my dad's house (he spent the week there after our camping trip). I made good time, as the traffic was very light... only about 3.25 hours to get there. I stayed there long enough to catch my breath, get a copy of some of my dad's amazing photgraphy, and have him pop my back.

On the way back we stopped at Pea Soup Andersen's for some more pea soup, but just a couple of bowls each. We hit a lot of traffic on the freeway, which worked out to be around 5 hours driving. It was incredibly hot, too!

Quinn and I planned for him to come over Saturday evening, so we could have a few brews and hang out. So he came over Saturday evening and we had a few brews and hung out... uh... I just said that, didn't I? We talked until pretty late, or rather early I should say.

This morning (Sunday) we woke up and I sent Rece off to be with his mom (it was her birthday today). After a proper breakfast at Dick Church's restaurant, we went back to my place and decided to jam a bit. Oh, I forgot to say that Quinn also planned to bring his guitar and an amp so we could jam. So he brought over his guitar and an amp... and... uh... we jammed - no Mason jars or fruits were harmed in the process either.

For those who don't know (that's everybody except for Quinn and I), the two of us haven't played together since some time in early 1989 - that's about 17 years, folks... 1/2 a liftetime ago for me. It's been around 15 years since I last played the drums for longer than 20 or 30 minutes (and that was only 2 or 3 times). Needless to say, I was very rusty. Quinn said he was rusty as well, but he sounded just fine to me! He's been practicing and making some music of his own lately.

We managed to play for about 30-45 minutes before needing a break (it was very warm in the garage) and then went back and played for about another hour. I must admit, I've so missed playing, let alone with Quinn, quite a bit! It took me awhile before I felt somewhat comfortable playing again. I began to loosen up around the last 30 minutes of playing, as the hidden drummer part of my brain and muscle-memory started to find one another again. It was also pretty foreign for Quinn to be playing guitar with a drummer again - which meant having to maintain a very constant tempo.

Hopefully we'll be able to do this on a more regular basis. The taste for making music is on my tongue and I fear that I'm about to get hooked on it again! I look forward to the soreness I'm bound to feel for playing so long... after so long of not playing - it'll be a nice reminder of a great time.

This entry was brought to you by a drummer, reborn!

1 comment:

Quinn said...

Ya that was a great time man, can't wait till the next jam. Hey, you forgot about the condescending ice tea. LOL!