Thursday, October 20, 2005

Do I still get to be the janitor?

It appears that I'm still in a state of flux since my divorce started. While I'm not technically divorced yet (paperwork is pending), I am separated and trying to deal with being single (with a kid). What really sucks is that by getting married at 18, I completely skipped the single adult youth stage where you figure out how to handle mature adult relationships. Not only did I really not know what I wanted in a partner, I jumped into a relationship that in hindsight I probably shouldn't have. On top of that, I ended up spending a good portion of 14 years trying to make it work. The one thing that made it all worthwhile was the birth of my son - otherwise I would have considered it a total waste of time.

So here I am at the age of 33, pretty much unprepared for the single life. I know who I am now, what I do and don't like as far as boundaries and preferences go. What I don't know is what type of woman is right for me. Who I might find attractive physically, might be bad for me relationally as far as their personality. A gal that's a great friend, may not be the right person for me in the long-term for a variety of reasons. I feel like I've been thrown a tennis ball, a bowling pin, and a chainsaw and then asked to juggle them - and I don't know how to juggle.

Most of the folks that I know seem to consider me a good person; I'd like to think so as well. What I'm dreading (and seem to have already done) is to get involved with somebody and then end up hurting them. I know this is probably what I would have had to go through back in my early adulthood, but at my age it seems a little pathetic - at least to me it does. Most single women my age already went through all that garbage and, if they've never been married (or even if they have), are looking for a man to settle down with. The prospects of dating much younger women seems shallow and not really something I'm willing to put myself through - even though it might prove to be fun for a little while.

So here I am, a divorced (with a kid) 33 year old man, not knowing exactly what I want, but knowing I want something. Now I have to try and figure out how to navigate the sea of relationships rather late in the game and I'm concerned about the clouds on the horizon and the choppy waters ahead. Man overboard?

This entry was held over a cliff and told to repent or perish.

3 comments:

Quinn said...

Hey Man, I know that there is nothing I could possibly say to ease your worries. However, you will always have your friends and if you ever need anything you know all you need to do is ask.
The other thing is that you are a intelligent, strong willed, and stable person who ,in my personal opinion, will able to wheather and navigate the coming storm if in fact the cloads do indicate rough waters ahead.
Man overboard? I don't think so, stand at the bow of your ship and say "Damn the torpedo's" ... "I have not yet begun to fight" :)

Anonymous said...

what about actually being single for a while? I mean, dating sucks and the search for love is nothing but a root-ripping bikini wax of the soul but there is something to be said for being single on purpose, you really find out who you are AS you are, not who you are in relationship to someone else.

Want to make out?

-The Lovely Miss Adventure

BuzzKill said...

Thanks Rhiannon. Though I'll have to trust you on the whole bikini wax analogy. Ouch.

I'm planning on just meeting people... different types of people... people that I wouldn't ordinarily interact with. I just want to mix it up a little and see what types I click with and which I have to take out a restraining order against.