Wednesday, October 19, 2005

There I was, there I was... IN the Congo...

Yesterday was a lovely day at work. We had to upgrade our servers to Windows 2003 Server and migrate services from our old Domain Controller to a different (newer - faster) one. We had an awesome consultant helping us through some of the process, which was much needed. Altogether, I worked around 13.5 hours yesterday, pretty much non-stop.

Due to me not having a car, my boss was nice enough to drop me off at my apartment. This was just after 12:30 am. So all that happened after getting into my apartment was getting out of my work clothes, throwing on a t-shirt and shorts and then straight to bed.

Back to work at 8:30 am, we had a few oddball glitches to sort out after we had our staff logging back on the network this morning. Nothing too bad, most of the problems were related to DNS issues, which was easily rectified.

The time is fast approaching when we're completely migrated off our old Novell 5.0 server. I have to say that I'll miss the dependability of it, but I won't miss being the only I.T. guy in the building who knows how to administer it. It's really too bad that Novell fell flat on it's face by clinging too tightly to their old "we are the master of company networks" thinking. They should have kept up with the way technology and networks were migrating and develop a functional administration GUI so that I.T. folks weren't so turned off by it. Such a shame.

Today was spent working non-stop again. Now I'm headed home! Woo hoo!

This entry brought to you with peanuts and lots of green corn.

No comments: