Friday, January 13, 2006

Shopping Carts Don't Fly!

A very special friend gave me a very special gift for Christmas this (well, last) year. It was something I had never seriously considered doing on my own, and it was something completely unexpected. She did an excellent job of keeping it a secret up until the very last second.

Originally, I was supposed to receive my gift the day after Christmas, but it had rained earlier that day and was threatening to do so later that day as well. My friend contacted me that morning and informed me that my gift was an outdoor activity (that was the only hint I was given) and that the weather was not conducive to the activity we were going to do. She asked if we could reschedule for January 12th (yesterday) and fortunately I was already taking the day off from work, so the timing worked out perfectly.

Curiosity had been working on my brain for almost 2 weeks already, since that's how long before the original date we had arranged for time to do this. Now I had to wait another 17 days and still had no idea what was planned. It's a good thing that I enjoy a good surprise and can deal with being in the dark, otherwise I'm sure I would have been a lot more anxious than I already was. I was definitely ready to be let in on the secret when the time came, though!

I met up with her at her place yesterday afternoon so she could drive us to our destination. Not knowing the area, I must admit that I had no clue where we were or where we were going. After driving for a few minutes, we arrived at Fullerton airport. My friend is a pilot, so my mind automatically started thinking that she might be planning to take me up in a plane and give me a tour or maybe she booked me some time in one of the flight simulators (since I really enjoy video games). Still, I had no idea why we were there, but my mind was already getting excited about whatever was going to happen.

Walking into the terminal, she was greeted by some people that she knew. They hadn't seen each other for awhile and over the course of about 15 minutes I was introduced to more people than I could possibly remember the names of... except for the last fellow. She says to me, "Gabe, this is Mike, he's a flight instructor here..." and as with the other folks I had met earlier, I shook his hand. She continued, "... he's going to be taking you out for your first flight today."

My heart seemed as though it had suddenly stopped for a moment. Did I just hear her correctly? *THUD* My heart then leapt into my throat! The reality of what she just said came rushing through my mind. I was stunned, so much so that the only thing I could think of doing was give her a huge hug! I think I muttered something along the lines of "thank you" but I can't be certain, considering my state of surprise and joy.

Mike went over what it was we were about to do. He was going to show me a couple of videos, make sure I understood what was gone over (via a computer quiz), then we were to go out to perform a preflight check and get familiarized with the plane that I would be flying. At this point my curiosity got the best of me and I asked him if he meant that he'd take off, fly us to some safe area and let me take the controls for awhile, then fly us back. He was happy to clarify that I would be the one to start the plane, taxi it to the runway, proceed to take off, climb to an altitude of around 3000 feet, have me go through some turns, have me fly "straight & level", perform some descents and climbs... and that I'd be the one doing it myself. Finally it dawned on me that I was really going to fly a plane! HOLY SHIT!

It was at this point that my mind slipped into the make-it-happen mode. I became dead serious about learning what Mike had to teach me and to understand what my responsibilities were while doing it. My ADD brain was so hyper-focused, that everything else in the world that didn't pertain to what we were doing disappeared. This was serious business and I wanted to take it all in.

After the lesson and quiz, we went outside for our preflight check. We walked up to a Cessna 172s - (N259TA). He explained everything he was doing with the aircraft as he was doing it - and I was enjoying every single minute of it! Mike knew his shit and I wanted to absorb as much of his knowledge as he was willing to give me in the short time I was there.

Preflight check went according to plan and we got ourselves situated in the small cockpit of the plane. Mike explained some more details (I won't bore you with them - go fly your own plane!) and went over some of the controls, gauges, etc that we'd be dealing with during our flight. Once that was over, he told me to take the keys and start the engine.

Gladly, I took the key and put it in and turned it to start. Just like a car, the engine turned and turned, then caught and roared to life. This still didn't seem to be real to me, it was like I was watching myself from the outside while I was doing something that I had never thought I'd ever get a chance to do. The propeller was spinning in front of my view and I felt the rumble of the engine through my seat. Surprisingly, I wasn't nervous at all. This was going to be great!

Mike explained the rudder and brakes to me a bit more - because that's how you steer and stop while you're rolling - and we taxied out to the runway. We had to wait for a couple of planes to land first, then we rolled on towards the runway. Full throttle, engine blaring, we started speeding down the runway. We reach the speed we need and I'm instructed to nose up a bit, which I did. In just a matter of seconds, the vibration becomes less pronounced and I notice the ground moving away from the plane. Mike, who's hands were near, but not holding, the controls notes, "check it out... that was all you..." while wiggling his fingers. SWEET!

He directed me on where we need to fly and I pointed the nose in that direction. For the next 30 minutes or so, he had me flying "straight & level", through some turns, a few descents and climbs, he pointed out some landmarks along the way... we circle above the Queen Mary... turn back down the coast... then head back inland towards Fullerton airport. There was just so much to see and take in, that I'd bore you to tears (even more than I probably already have) if I went into full detail. Trust me, this was heaven for me. It was like looking at the world through a whole new set of eyes!

As we neared Fullerton airport, Mike took over the controls for the final approach and landing. True to form, he explained everything he was doing. My brain was wide open, doing it's best to take in whatever else I could still fit in there - and I'm still trying to sort through it all now!

If it weren't for the money, I know for sure that I'd go back and sign up for lessons in a heartbeat! Learning to fly is now one of my long-term goals in life. This is something I'd like to work towards someday.

Now that I've experienced it, I know that there's just no way to accurately describe it. It's just too far beyond words! The best I can do is point you to a web page I've put together of photos taken during the experience.

My friend was snapping so many photos, trying to capture as much of it for me as possible. The funny thing is that I hardly remember seeing her taking the photos. I remember seeing her snapping a few, but she really went all-out for this. Mike took some of the photos while we were flying (she didn't fly with us), but almost all of the outside shots were done by her.

In closing this epic-length blog, I just have to go on record by saying that this is, by far, the most generous, thoughtful, and meaningful gift that anybody has ever given to me in my entire life! Just thinking about it brings a tear to my eye. I am truly and humbly grateful, not only for this unbelievable gift, but for the amazing friend who thought enough to give it to me. Thanks again, my friend!

This entry was brought to you by them crazy folks who enjoy stapling
rubbers to wood and then stomping on it to the tune of Whip It! woOt!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

Quinn said...

WOW! Dude! That is just so freaking awesome! I'm speachless!