Friday, August 19, 2005

It's alive!

Remember last week when I had trouble with hooking up a DV Camera to my computer at work? Well the good news (I failed to report last week) is that I was finally able to get it working. It took the purchase of a $200 device (that includes some very nice video editing software), but by Judas it works! I was able to capture all the video from the camera and put it on my hard drive... all 8 GB of it!

Raw AVI files sure do take up a lot of room. It's no wonder there's so much action going on with video codecs (MPG, MOV, WMV, DivX, XviD, etc) these days. Everybody is trying to figure out how to get movie files compressed enough so that they retain enough quality to be watchable, yet don't gobble up your bandwidth and/or drive space.

There are a lot of projects at work that take priority above producing a fun little video of our staff bowling - like solving the erroneous errors on our backup server, possibly setting up a PHPBB so we can have online discussions with volunteers and partner organizations, moving away from Novell to a completely Windows 2003 AD network, etc. Now that I have it ready to be played around with, I'm anxious to try my hand at some more advanced video editing!

This entry brought to you by the little Steven Spielberg
that lives inside my noggin. Sit... Stay! Good boy.

No comments: