Tuesday, November 29, 2005

5-day weekend recap

Thanksgiving plans changed quite a bit from my original idea of cooking for my dad, his wife (not my mom), their daughter (not my sister), Rece, and myself. The prospect of actually having to clean my train wreck of an apartment, on top of being the only cook in the place, wasn't sitting too well. What did I do? Founded upon a tip from a coworker, I decided that we'd go to Mimi's Cafe and enjoy a Thanksgiving feast cooked by somebody else for a change.

This was my first Thanksgiving at a restaurant. I've been fortunate enough to have the luxury of a home-cooked Thanksgiving meal ever since I can remember. Mimi's did an excellent job of bringing the home-cooked feel to the food and it was all delicious. The best part was not having any dishes to clean when it was all over! While I still prefer the traditional Thanksgiving meal cooked by the loving hands of friends and family, it's good to know that there are other options.

Much later on Thursday night, I helped a good friend format her sister's computer and reinstalled Windows XP from scratch. Unfortunately it resulted in the loss of everything, as to be expected, but it was out of necessity, as the computer just wasn't behaving very well at all. It took at least 4-5 hours to finish the whole job (including updates and other installs), but the company was top-notch, so at least it was enjoyable.

On Friday, Rece and I joined my dad and his family for a movie. We went to see Chicken Little. It was a pretty good flick, though not a blockbuster film by any measure. The essence of the story is a sad one, really: a boy (well, a chicken - I guess that would make him a young rooster, eh?) being raised by an asshole father (a real cock) who is embarassed of his own son and doesn't support him - that is until his son does something amazing - why not show that you love him no matter what, dad? The graphics were top-notch and the humor was clean and, at times, very witty. It was rated G and deservedly so. Take your kids to the (cheaper) matinee showing and you shouldn't be disappointed.

Saturday was a fun-filled day spent with Rece. We started off riding our bikes to Radio Shack to pick up some batteries for a garage door opener, then went to Sushi Wave for lunch. I managed to get Rece to eat 2 pieces of a California roll, which is quite an accomplishment if you know how picky he can be. We spent the majority of the meal laughing, which is always a good thing. Our next stop was Baskin Robbins, where we split a pint of Oreo cookies and cream ice cream - yum! We finished off our remaining time together (before his mom came to pick him up) watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on DVD. It was a cute movie, entertaining enough for me to sit all the way through.

Later that evening (after Rece had departed with his mom) I went geocaching with a couple of good friends. We went out at night for three specific reasons: 1) to release my new travel bug, 2) to go hunting for a very cool night cache, and 3) to expose these geocachers to a variety of "micro caches" so that they may be able to find some on their own much easier in the future (they think they suck at finding them, but they did just fine). The night cache was very cool, requiring that we use flashlights to locate reflective markers that lead us down a path - and ultimately to the cache (which turned out to be a pretty funny container). We all had a great time.

Sunday I spent resting, by myself, being completely lazy. I didn't take a shower, I barely ate, I tinkered around on the computer, and I slept for most of the day. To steal a quote from the brilliant film, Office Space...

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be." - Peter Gibbons

Monday was a real treat! I was able to take the day off and went to Disneyland with a very special friend. It was a very slow day at the amusement park, so we were able to get on all the best rides with practically no wait at all. The newly renovated Space Mountain ride was fantastic, except maybe for the last special effect at the end - it left me feeling slightly disoriented for quite some time after.

After Disneyland we went for some down-home southern cooking at Johnny Rebs. So yummy! Our eyes were much bigger than our stomachs, which resulted in us taking about 3 pounds of leftovers home. With plenty of time left in the evening, we went out to find a couple of geocaches after leaving the restaurant.

We laughed a lot and thoroughly enjoyed our time together. The day was so perfect that I still have a huge grin on my face! I don't see how it could get any better than this!

This entry was brought to you by hypercolor shirts!

No comments: