Friday, November 18, 2005

Privacy - Done Deal

I met with HR this afternoon, by my request, to get clarification as to what it was they thought I did wrong in this matter (read previous 2 days of posts for more info). The meeting was brief, being only about 10 minutes long, and from what I was told, I'm not in trouble... I didn't do anything wrong... and that in the future I should do what I did this time: tell them to speak with HR.

Initially I was given some sort of circular argument about how I could have followed protocol better (AKA unwritten/unspoken rule not specified anywhere in our employee handbook). This didn't deter me from my pursuit of specific information, as I asked what exactly the correct protocol was. I was informed that I should refer people to HR if they feel concerned about their privacy. Once I heard this, I asked, "You mean as I did in the email that started all of this?" and, after a brief pause, was told "Yes". "So I didn't do anything wrong," I asked. "No, you didn't," she said to me.

There was no apology for having had my boss chew me out for nothing, except for being told that it probably wasn't necessary for it to have gone so far. Gee, thanks.

To me it seems that I got a knee-jerk reaction from HR... and that between this reaction and my boss's failure to ascertain what it was that I did in the first place and then to maybe stand up for me when he realized that I hadn't done anything wrong - I ended up in the hot seat for no reason. Maybe I'll just consider myself fortunate that things didn't get twisted around and end up causing me any more grief than it did.

This entry was made into a mountain from a molehill.

No comments: